Friday, January 23, 2009

I Feel A Need to Share

Last night, I cooked. Its something I do very consistently. I am not a gourmet chef, but I am also not a "add water and microwave" kind of guy. I like to explore and experiment. I like to feel like I am a pioneer of something culinary. And last night, I succeeded. What I did was nothing new. It has been done before, but I maintain that what I did last night is as good if not better than any version ever done. What was it you ask? Oh, merely Beer Can Chicken. But, I will share my secret, nay my recipe, with you in hopes that your tongue can tingle in joy while the veritable bevy of flavors dances on your palette like Baryshnikov on a dance floor. Am I playing it up? Read the following and then you tell me!

Irish Beer Can Chicken

1 Whole Chicken (Sans Gizards)

1/2 Cup "Secret" Spice Rub (Equal Parts) 
  • Lawry's Season. Salt, Paprika, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Cayenne Powder
1 Can Wexford Irish Creme Ale (or Irish Beer i.e. Guinness, Smithwicks..) 

1 Marinade/Turkey Injector

1 Beer Can Chicken Holder (thats its actual name)


Directions:
1. Preheat Oven to 450 Degrees Farenheit.
2. In bowl, combine spices and mix.
3. Open beer, pour half into glass to be used for injection. Inject chicken breast and thigh with beer of choice. Place Beer can (half full) in to Holder. Place the chicken (butt end first) over the can so it is sturdy. 
4. Rub spices generously over entire chicken.

  • Once oven is ready, place the Chicken and Beer holder in a Cake pan (to catch drippings) and insert it into the oven for 15-20 minutes.
  • Then after 15-20 minutes, reduce temperature to 350 and cook for 40-45 more minutes. 
  • Pull out and let sit for 5-7 minutes. 
  • Then eat!  
Guaranteed you will fall in love with this dish. Its easy, and takes only minutes to prepare. 

P.S.
Also works great with DR. PEPPER if you don't have beer.

Enjoy.


No comments: